Clovelly is a taste of paradise. God's country. A village in the city. A community who cares.
We love Clovelly
Clovelly is a very special corner of the world, marked by its own beach and bay, famous for its snorkelling and blue groper (photo | controversy), as well as the neighbouring landmark of Waverley cemetery. Around here, even the cemetery has million dollar views!
Here's some of the things to do and places to see, that make us love this place so much!
The great outdoors
- beach swimming (watch out for the keen ones in the ‘shipping lane’)
- snorkelling at Clovelly (meet Bluey the groper) and Gordon’s Bay
- scuba diving (see Gordon’s Bay scuba club)
- Clovelly nippers at Clovelly Surf Lifesaving Club
- The ‘TamaCloey’ Tamarama to Clovelly open water classic
Out and about
- Before & after work, the Bondi-to-Coogee walk is a highway for joggers.
- There are parks and sporting fields galore – our local parks (see activities for kids below), as well as Queens Park and Moore Park.
- Barefoot bowling at Clovelly bowling club.
- Clovelly Crocodiles field over 20 junior Rugby League sides in the Sydney Roosters junior competition.
- The Clovelly Eagles field many junior Rugby Union sides in the Randwick/Easts Junior division.
- Randwick Rugby Club plays their home games at nearby Coogee Oval - get to a game with Dave, chaplain to the famous Galloping Greens.
Groups/Activities hosted in the St Luke’s hall
Schools, Playgroups, Clubs
Clovelly is blessed with a range of schools, playgroups & child care:
- Clomama – run by the mums of St. Luke's for all sorts of mums in the community - find out more here.
- Burnie Park playgroup for preschoolers @ Burnie Park Community Centre, Burnie St. Ph. 9665-0551. Mon/Wed/Fri at 10am, and a special dads group on Sat 10am.
Schools in the area
- Clovelly Public School
- St Catherine’school (Waverley) – K-12 Anglican day and boarding school for girls.
- Claremont College (Randwick) – Anglican co-ed primary school.
- St Anthony’s, Clovelly – Catholic primary school.
- Clovelly childcare centre (40a Arden St).
- Bronte child care centre (Thomas St, off Macpherson).
- Clovelly out of school care.
Fun activities for kids
1. In January don't miss out on the Summer Kids Club at St Luke's! And in July we run a Pupil Free Day program.
2. Head to one of the beautiful parks & playgrounds:
- Burrows Park, Ocean St – public toilets, picnic shelters, dog exercise park, football field
- Bundock Park, behind the beach at Clovelly Bay – with playground, access to sand, grassy area, public toilets, BBQ’s, picnic shelters and café/restaurant
- Burnie Park, Burnie St – playground and picnic tables
- Varna Park, Clovelly/Waverley – playground with new equipment
- Govett Reserve, Randwick – fenced park where the Clomama mums and kids sometimes catch up.
- Bieler Park, Randwick – fenced park with good equipment for younger kids.
3. Cycle in Centennial Park, on the kids bike-track & playground for the littlies or ride around the whole park with the older kids – there’s also the central playground & café, plus the playground at Oxford St gates.
4. Walk the Bronte to Coogee coastal track (pram-friendly only from Coogee heading north to the south side of Gordons Bay).
5. Get out for a coffee and babycino at TopHat coffee merchants (Arden St intersection), Clodeli or Green Mango (Fern St intersection), Burnie's (Burnie St shops), Seasalt or Deviate (near the beach), Eugene's (Macpherson St).
6. Swim, snorkel or rock hop at Gordon’s Bay.
7. Explore Waverley cemetery, where you’ll find the grave of poet Henry Lawson and aviator pioneer Lawrence Hargreave.
8. See the annual Sculpture by the sea exhibition on in October-November each year on the spectacular Bondi-Tamarama coastal walk.
For more great local ideas for kids, have a look at Ella's list - a free 'what's on' guide with events, places, and school holiday activities in the eastern suburbs.
The Clovelly Road Better Block is an initiative to make the streetscape greener, safer and more human. There was a demonstration day on Sunday 27th Oct 2013, which was a fantastic community moment, packed out with hundreds of people.
St Luke's hosted a 'Photo + Story Booth' with vintage photos of Clovelly, and lots of kids drew pictures of what they love about Clovelly today. We wanted to help each other share our stories, because we're all part of God's big story. Enjoy! (Surnames on some of the kids' photos were removed).